Thursday, March 29, 2012

New Mt.St.Mary's University Head Coach Jamion Christian Sends FIRST Recruit Offer

According to VirginiaPreps.com 2013-2014 Offer Sent....



The Norcom Greyhounds (Portsmouth, VA) are no strangers to producing College Basketball talents. Before Vernon Macklin went on to play at Florida and Ben Finney at nearby Old Dominion, each won Eastern District Player of the Year honors with the Greyhounds. Norcom also won back-to-back state titles in 2010 and 2011 behind the versatile Dorian Finney-Smith, who is now at Virginia Tech.
Norcom has another prospect attracting Division I looks inMalique Trent, a 6-foot-2 guard from the Class of 2013 who made a significant impact in his first year as a starter with the Greyhounds. This past season, Trent averaged 19.9 points, 5.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game on a Greyhounds team that won the Eastern District Tournament for the fifth time in six years.
Trent recently picked up his second D-1 offer and it comes from Mount St. Mary's, which has been a pipeline for Tidewater talents in recent years and that trend shouldn't stop with their hire of new Head Coach Jamion Christian. The 30-year-old Christian is a graduate of New Kent High School, where he led his team to an undefeated season and state title in 2000, and has been a major part of nationally-recognized recruiting classes at both William & Mary and VCU as an assistant coach.
Rod Johnson
Norcom's Malique Trent holds two offers
"Coach Christian called me to inform me that he had gotten the Head Coaching job at Mount St. Mary's and he instantly said 'Malique Trent, I want you to be the first 2013 recruit I offer.' I was kind of really hoping he would say that, too," Trent told VirginiaPreps.com.
"He said he likes my energy, level of intensity and that I work inside and outside the paint."
Chosen First Team All-Eastern District during his junior season, Trent also led Norcom in three-point shooting. He scored 18 points in their victory over Norview in the Eastern District Tournament Championship.
After being a seldom-used sophomore, Trent started to open some eyes last summer on the AAU circuit while playing for the Wave Basketball Club. His confidence rose, and he'll enter his senior season as one of the top offensive threats in the Eastern Region.
"I feel like my strength as a player is the heart I play with and my will to win," believes Trent. "I'll do all that I can do in order to win. I think I need to work on my on-ball defense because I can get very lazy at times on defense."
Trent's first offer came from Appalachian State, where he's being recruited by assistant Kellan Sampson, who played at Oklahoma when his dad, Kelvin Sampson, coached the Sooners. Others that have expressed interest in him thus far include VCU, Old Dominion, Norfolk State, James Madison, Florida Atlantic and Elon

No comments:

Post a Comment